Emergency Service Partners has achieved exceptional, industry-leading results in malpractice risk management and patient safety. The company strives to prevent patient injuries and deaths by diligently collecting reliable patient safety data and responding with effective education. To this end, ESP’s risk management programs include the ED CLEAR™ (formerly SafetyCore™) program, in partnership with EB Medicine. The ED CLEAR™ program is available to medical groups, facilities, and malpractice insurers. For more information, please contact Dusty Otwell.
ED CLEAR™ (Clinical Learning to Eliminate Avoidable Risk) is an evidence-based risk solution program. The program utilizes outcome data analysis to uncover the core malpractice risks in the emergency department and addresses those risks with continuing medical education (CME) modules featuring videos produced by ESP and articles from EB Medicine (Evidence Based Medicine). Each module provides 4.5 hours of CME, and the program provides stroke and ethics credit.
The program also offers the Risk Tracker database, a software solution that allows organizations to identify and respond to their most significant malpractice risks.
The 2016 program addresses topics including:
- TIA Scales, with Dr. Ann Czarnik (STROKE CME)
- Scores and Risk Apps, with Dr. James Kempema
- Testicular Trauma and Testicular Torsion, with Dr. Christopher Colvin (TRAUMA CME)
- Necrotizing Fasciitis and Other Complicated Skin Infections, with Dr. Dawn Mudie
- Return Visits, with Dr. Matt Patlovany
- Physician Wellness with Dr. Michelle Magid (ETHICS CME)
The deadline to complete all assigned modules is November 15.
ESP’s risk management program also includes a hands-on Airway Management CME course. Through this Airway Course, ESP slashed its five-year claims frequency for failed intubations to zero. Through its overall risk management programs, ESP has consistently achieved claims frequency rates less than half of the comparable benchmark.
Three Steps to Meaningful Risk Management
- Care. The first step is to truly care. An effective risk management initiative can have a powerful impact on the lives of human beings.
- Measure. With dedication to the patient-focused mission of preventing as many patient injuries as possible, the next step becomes clear. We must collect and analyze outcomes data.
- Try. Don’t just point out the problem, try to solve it!
The following video highlights features of the ED CLEAR™ video CME program: